Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Packing Queen

Today's location: Still in New London, WI.
Today's weather: Cloudy, high of 19 degrees (possible heat wave after 50+ days below zero).




Today is the day I pack my suitcase. Today I decide what I am going to be wearing day in and day out for possibly the next year of my life. Depressing. When I was thinking this whole crazy idea, I am the first to admit that what clothes I would pack was one of my first considerations. Yes, to me the idea of wearing the same thing just seems boring, and if you've traveled with me before, you know that there are few certainties in life aside from death, taxes, and that I will overpack. So for those of you that were skeptical that I could pack just one suitcase, you have a point.

 

Spoiler alert: It all fits.


So what's all in there?












I've got: 1 black leather jacket, 1 waterproof, hooded jacket, 1 black sweatshirt, 1 black sweater, 1 green dress, 5 long sleeved or 3/4 sleeved shirts, three short sleeved shirts, 2 tank tops.

Then, I have: 1 pair athletic shorts, 1 pair navy shorts, 1 pair green bermuda shorts, 1 pair black sweatpants, 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair black leggings, 1 pair khaki capris, 1 black skirt.

4 pairs of shoes and 2 cosmetic bags.



And a smattering of other items: 2 scarves, 1 bag of chargers/converters/adapters, 1 #lightload ultra absorbent/fast drying towel, #cocoon sleep sheet, umbrella, swim suit, extra purse, two hats, first aid kit, 12 pairs of underwear and socks, laundry detergent sheets, gloves, 6 granola bars, curling iron, 3 pairs earrings, 3 necklaces, (only) 3 watches.

And, of course, some light reading material: #lonelyplanet #southamericaonashoestring, Spanish/English dictionary, Bible (this is the year I'm  going to read the whole thing), a journal, and couple of other books to read for pleasure that I plan on ditching as soon as I'm done reading them. 

And lastly, two things that I suspect will prove to be pretty darn important: 1) dry shampoo 2) corkscrew/bottle-opener. Can you imagine me picking up a bottle of wine, exhausted after a long and frustrating day, unable to formulate a sentence in English let alone Spanish, only to discover that I don't have a corkscrew? #despair. 






















 T-1 day until take-off. 

P.S. Still waiting for a meltdown. Although yesterday I was pretty down when I realized I'd be missing #Marchmadness but I don't think that really counts as a meltdown exactly.




5 comments:

  1. So excited for you! Can't wait to live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cool, Hilarie! I'm so envious but really excited for you. I will be anxiously awaiting blog updates. I can't believe that's all your packing - how did you do it?? You always had the best outfits at work; I can't see how you possibly narrowed it down to just those essentials LOL. Safe travels, much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. I am surprised you got everything in that suitcase! And dry shampoo is for sure a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Hiljo! I'm excited to hear about your adventure as it takes off.

    ReplyDelete