Sunday, March 16, 2014

Carnival!

This week's weather: About 75 every day with a couple of afternoon rains.
Recent reads: The Bayou Trilogy by Daniel Woodrell; three novels featuring Rene Shade, a rough-around the-edges detective, in the corrupt, hillbilly town of St. Bruno. I bought it because it was the largest book on the shelf and thought it would last me at least a few days. Turns out, I really enjoyed them!

On Wednesdays admission to the museums in Cordoba is free so I decided to check out a couple of them for myself. First I went to the Museo de Ciencias Naturales. Geared towards children, it was still entertaining and air conditioned so I don't regret it.



Next, I went to the Museo de Bellas Artes Evita and Palacio Ferreyra. It had a good balance of portraits, photographs, landscapes, paintings, and drawings with a peppering of nudes to keep one interested. The palace itself was beautiful and this is coming from a girl isn't big on museums so that's saying something.



On Thursday I took a stroll to Parque Sarmiento for a reading session before working at the hostel on at 4pm. The park itself was lovely, well kept, with a nice pool. But the area around Parque Sarmiento didn't look like a tranquil area to relax so much as it looked like a nice place for a drug deal or to contract hepatitis, neither of which are on my itinerary.




And then there's this...















On Friday Cordoba had their mini Carnival celebration in the street with dance groups in amazing costumes, music, and a celebratory feeling in the air. I was blown away by the ornate group attire, tons and tons of glitter were no doubt used but it was well worth it! Definitely a highlight!



Friday night I hit the town with some of the hostel guests, a few girls from Scotland and a smattering of people from all over the world too. Here the clubs don't get started until 1AM and we shut down Maria, Maria around 6AM. Good times were had by all!

Low points:
1) On Wednesday I got sunburned. On my neck to my shirt line so it looks like I'm wearing a pink turtle-neck. And on my legs mid calf where my capris hit me to my sock line. Pretty attractive.
2) My camera broke. It's mostly fine but the lock that holds the battery cover in snapped off so the battery won't stay in enough to take a photo. On Sundays much of the town is closed so I'll have to wait until Monday to find a repair shop. Fingers crossed!



2 comments:

  1. Uh, a generic "good times were had by all" is simply not going to cut it for your first club recount. More, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical American club tunes so I felt right at home. Drinking Dr. Limon's (bottled vodka with mixer) was delightful . An Argentinian friend was my sidekick and I was a dance machine, claro! :)

      Delete