Friday, March 7, 2014

Plazas, Fountains, and Statues, Oh My!


Today's location: Cordoba, Argentina
Today's weather: sunny, 82 degrees

I slept until noon. I guess I was tired. By 1 PM I was walking all about town. I saw most of the sites listed on the map from the hostel and it was beautiful all day. I spent a good couple of hours reading in a little park built in celebration of the bicentennial. It had colored rings representing each year. Many of them had graffiti on them. One had "one direction" painted on it-does that really count at graffiti?
























I strolled all over the city and took a few moments at each plaza to soak it all it. I stopped at a few bookstores along the way where I would spend a ridiculous amount of time just trying to read the back covers. I even observed some jugglers on unicycles at one of the plazas. For lunch I ate at a pizza joint in the Patio Olmos (a mall), serenaded by Shania Twain's 1997 album.

                                   



                                
Plazas, fountains, and statues, oh my!


Low points of the day include but are not limited to:
1) When I realized I had bird poop on my arm and had no idea how long it had been there.
2) When I saw of copy of 50 Shades of Gray in Spanish. Apparently, like a smile, this translates into other languages.

I returned to the hostel about 8 PM after walking an extra mile in the wrong direction. The hostel owner's brother was working the desk. Just like the owner, he grew up in Ohio and happily spoke to me in English to give my brain a break.

Training for the reception duties starts tomorrow morning!




2 comments:

  1. What's the vibe in Cordoba? Small town? It doesn't seem that lively/busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the second largest city in Argentina so it's actually super busy all the time but with that relaxed Spanish mentality...People are out and about all day and night! lunch is 1-3, siestas in the late afternoons so many stores are closed then. Dinner is around 9 or 10 and clubs don't get going until 1am and close at 6am! It's lively all the time but with a small town, historical feel and at a slower pace :)

      Delete