Monday, March 31, 2014

Que tal, Buenos Aires?


This week's weather: 80s all week with light rain in Buenos Aires on Thursday night and Sunday during the day.
What I'm reading: Still working on the Bible, believe it or not. Just finished Genesis. 

I worked at the hostel in Cordoba Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Already have seen most of the sights here in Cordoba, I have found a routine a little more like a local and a little less like a tourist. We even went to see the new Wes Anderson movie, The Grand Hotel Budapest (two thumbs up), on Sunday night. The theatre was very nice in a nice mall, just like at home. 

On Wednesday I took an overnight bus to Buenos Aires! Buenos Aires, the Paris of South America, is an amazingly dynamic city so a few photos of my favorite things (in no particular order) will convey more than me blubbering on and on.*


Obelisco, an icon in BA!

1. Plaza de Mayo is a must see! While the plaza itself doesn't seem so different, a glimpse at Buenos Aires' past will show that this plaza is the humble setting for so much life-changing history!
Casa Rosada, Evita's stomping ground.
Plaza de Mayo, the people's square to let their voice be heard.


Plaza de Mayo with Casa Rosada in the background
Graffiti art in Plaza de Mayo for the veterans protesting
for better benefits and compensation for their service.

Cabildo, one of the oldest multi-purpose
buildings in BA. Now a public museum.
2. Biking Buenos Aires was a fun and fit way to get to know Buenos Aires' past, present, and future.
bikingbuenosaires.com
3. I loved the various neighborhoods of BA and each's unique identity and contribution to the vast cultural melting pot that is this great metropolis!
Bombonera, stadium el equipo La Boca. 
Pizza and pasta, Italians were stuck here and owned it.

"La Boca" meaning "the mouth," the "barrio" or
neighborhood of La Boca originated here. 

Colorful La Boca, may be the poor hood but rich in color.
Livin' la vida Boca.
Typical La Boca.
My Rocky moment
Not exactly the court I grew up playing on.

4. Sometimes you let the bad in with the good and the history of Buenos Aires is no exception. Learning more about the missing people and missing pieces of Las Guerras Sucias, wasn't exactly one of my favorite things but it certainly was moving and thought provoking.
Athletic Club used as a secret detention, torture, and
extermination center during the dirty wars 1976-1983. 

Research still being done to identify more of the missing. 


5. El Cemetario de Recoleta, located in the pricey side of town, this is an extravagant collect of elaborate, ornate mausoleos of the rich and famous of Argentina. If you were a general, president, celebrity or there is a street named after you, then you're probably resting here for all eternity. A friendly reminder that whatever you have now, you can't take with you.
Really old Bible in the cloister
next to Cemetario de Recoleta.
Only the best for mass. In the cloister overlooking 
Cemetario de Recoleta 

Cemetario de Recoleta 
Just as their lives, their graves are over the top.
Eva Peron 
Smiling but a little cryptic. 

There are more headstones still.

More graves, seen from the cloister.

Traditional pizza at the busy Guerrin- best slice I've yet in Arg yet!

Av Corrientes. Yes, I'm standing in the middle of a very busy street. #dumbtourist


Chess at the Jardin Japones, anyone?

El Jardin Japones


Here, fishie fishie...




6. My favorite thing in Buenos Aires was el Museo de Evita. A mutil-dimensional woman from acting to fashion to philanthropy to suffrage, her life cut so short and yet embraced so whole-heartedly by her people.
Museo de Evita.
I will return and I will be millions.--Evita

She's kind of a big deal.


!Que Moda!




I demanded more rights for women because I know
what women had to put up with. --Evita 



Teatro Colon


El Congresso

Cafe Tortoni, an institution.

7. Fernet! Finally, had my first taste of this Argentinian specialty with some Coca Cola. I consulted the ultimate source in facts and credible information and wikipedia described fernet as a bitter, aromatic spirit made with a smattering of herbs and grape distilled spirits. Some describe fernet as a cousin to jager but I found it had a slightly mintier, better flavor. Fernet is very popular in Argentina and it's only fitting that my first go went down in Buenos Aires because BA is responsible for 35% of Argentinian consumption of the good stuff. If it's good enough for Alfred, it's good enough for me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwxuWbx_jCA


Fernet, speciality alcohol of Argentina

Pretty much sums me up at Brook,
a club in Palermo... After the fernet.
Adios, BA! You portenos have been great to me but it's back to Cordoba for another week.

*Or better yet, see Buenos Aires for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it's a dynamic city. I loved it and am glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete