Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Argentinian Food Critique

Now that I've left Argentina, it's time to reflect on one of my favorite pastimes which is, of course, eating! This is really more of a simple review than a critique since I pretty much like everything. There's a lot that Argentines got right when it comes to caloric intake:

1) Carne. Argentina is known for spectacular meat and their reputation is well-deserved. Most meat is very affordable. And then there's asado, aka barbeque or grilled meat-yum! Very difficult to be a vegetarian in Argentina but I'm okay with it.

2) Pastries. I know France seems to have this market cornered, but Argentina was surprising good on sweet treats! With at least one bakery or break shop on every corner, anything from fresh baked bread to croissants to desert pastries is readily at my very beck and call. And the enticing smell of a vast array of medialunas (croissants) is hard to resist! Argentina also is known for alfajores which are a dessert sometimes similar to a macaron and other times with more layers and covered completely in chocolate. I am pro-alfajores.

Fruit tart
Factura
Manzana!

3) Ice cream. The helado here has been out of this world. With tasty flavors like tiramisu and greent tea and crunchy waffle cones, the best way to top a warm afternoon of walking these cobblestone streets is with a cone in hand. The chain Grido is pretty good but Bariloche (also a city in south Argentina) was the best I've had in Cordoba.


4) Cafe. While Argentina isn't known as being a coffee powerhouse, I have yet to have an awful cup. And it's always served with soda water. Most importantly, whether it's solo or con leche, the time spent with my coffee is usually the most enjoyable and productive part of my day.

Tart y cafe

Cafe, alfajor, churro at Cafe Tortoni in Buenos Aires
Medialuna y cafe

Just to confirm, I really like coffee.

5) Dulce de leche, also known as "sweet nectar of the gods" is pretty much in everything possible here in Argentina. Best described as caramel sauce, dulce de leche is a common topping for breads at breakfast similar to nutella, as a flavor of ice cream, or as a filling for any desert or pastry. I can see how some locals are maxed out on the sweet stuff but I still can't get enough. One of my favorite snacks is an apple or banana with dulce de leche.

6) Street food. While my mother once told me never to eat anything in a foreign country that I can't peel, I have had my fair share of street food and lived to tell about it. I thought I would never say this phrase but, "I had the most amazing hot dog ever!" Covered with my choice of sauces including tartar sauce, salsa de golf (1000 Island dressing-ish), red and green olives, mustard, picante mayo, onions, chimichurri (oil with spices) and "lluvia de papas," it blew my mind. Choripan, sausage on bread, is another superb roadside option. The choripan I had after the futbol match was particularly delicious partly due to the atmosphere and a choripan after leaving the bars is always the right answer. I also enjoy some roasted peanuts from time to time as well.
Pancho
I don't always eat nuts, but when I do, they're usually roasted.
7. Empanadas. Duh. But seriously, empanadas are definitely my go-to food when undecided. Pretty much all empanadas are home-made so you can't go wrong.
Just do it. 
8. Mate. A hot tea-like substance, it's a staple in Argentina. People are very social about their mate, bringing their mate cup, straw and thermos everywhere including work and parks. You simply put the mate in the cute, add hot water and pass. Some say it's an acquired taste and some add sugar but I like straight!
Mate and me!

Let's see what Chile has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment